Clarion soccer’s defense allowed zero goals in last four contests

Austin Troutman / Sports Editor


Clarion soccer’s most recent contests were held in different venues against conference rivals.

On Sept. 27, the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown (UPJ) traveled to Memorial Stadium, as the hot defense for the Golden Eagles was looking for a third straight shutout.

The two previous games before playing UPJ were 1-0 wins against IUP and Mansfield, and defense was strong early yet again.

Clarion’s opponent came in struggling mightily, sitting at 1-7-1 before the evening’s matchup.

The Golden Eagles got on the board early, and took a 1-0 lead at the 21:51 mark in the first half on senior midfielder Anna Chamberlin’s first goal of the season.

An attendance marked at 150 people waited over an hour for the next goal to be scored, but the interesting shot was worth the wait.

In the back end of the second half, the Golden Eagles got a free kick that senior Marina Kelly took advantage of.

On the 84:36 mark, Kelly scored her second goal of the season to give Clarion a 2-0 lead late in the game.

With the game clock winding down, it looked certain that Clarion would pull off its third straight win, and with 55 seconds left, freshman Dani McNally delivered the final tally.

From outside the box, McNally scored her second goal of 2017, and the Golden Eagles went on to win the game 3-0 and improve to a 6-4-1 record.

On Sept. 30, Clarion traveled to take on a tougher opponent in the Bloomsburg University Huskies.

Entering the game, both teams were nearly identical in record, with Clarion having two more games marked off the schedule than Bloomsburg.

Both teams work hard on defensive ability and, in this afternoon game, 288 fans in attendance witnessed one of the least exciting games of the season for either side.

The Golden Eagles struggled to get the offense going against Bloomsburg, as it only had one shot on goal in the game, and two shots total.

For the Huskies, only nine shots were made throughout the contest.

The first ten-minute overtime period saw no action, as not even a single shot was recorded for either team.

The second and final overtime period witnessed one shot from Clarion, and once again, both teams were held scoreless.

The game concluded with a scoreless double-overtime tie that included 11 total shots, three of which were shots on goal.

Clarion’s next game involves travelling to Kutztown University for a noon start time on Oct. 8.

You May Also Like